“OSAC Baghdad is the largest OSAC Chapter in the world and offers tremendous value to its members. OSAC membership is free, and is a must for any American corporation, NGO, or Foreign Mission working in Iraq in order to remain informed of the security situation and receive useful information and recommendations from the U.S. Embassy. I strongly encourage interested organizations to join and actively participate in Baghdad OSAC.” – Senior RSO, Mark Hunter
Baghdad OSAC General Information
The Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) was established in 1985 by the U.S. Department of State to foster the exchange of security related information between the U.S. Government and the U.S. private sector operating abroad. Administered by the State Department’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security, OSAC has developed into an enormously successful joint venture for effective security cooperation. Through OSAC, the American private business sector, non-governmental, educational and religious organizations receive timely information on which to make informed decisions on how best to protect their organizations, investments, facilities, personnel and intellectual property abroad.
Professional security officers of the State Department’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security Service lead the OSAC program overseas. During meetings of overseas OSAC Councils, members share information on local and regional security issues.
Our Baghdad OSAC objectives are:
- To establish continuing liaison and to provide for operational security cooperation between the State Department, the U.S. private sector and non-governmental organizations;
- To provide for the regular and timely exchange of information between the U.S. private sector, non-governmental organizations and the State Department concerning developments in protective security;
- To recommend methods and provide material for coordinating security planning and implementing of security programs;
- To recommend methods to protect the competitiveness of American businesses operating worldwide.
Baghdad OSAC is unique in its size and scope, and products offered to members. OSAC members receive:
- The OSAC Daily Security Briefing;
- Access to the Baghdad OSAC Google Group forum;
- Invitations to participate in Quarterly Council Meetings;
- The Quarterly OSAC Newsletter.
Baghdad OSAC is free to join. Additional information about OSAC can be obtained by contacting the U.S. Embassy’s Regional Security Office OSAC representative at BaghdadOSAC@state.gov.