Location: Baghdad, Iraq
Event: Ongoing demonstrations within and around Baghdad have disrupted transit routes and local services. Even peaceful demonstrations can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid large crowds and areas where demonstrations are occurring.
The State Department’s Travel Advisory for Iraq remains at Level 4: Do Not Travel due to terrorism, kidnapping, armed conflict, civil unrest, and Mission Iraq’s limited capacity to provide support to U.S. citizens. For more information, please visit the Iraq Country Information page on travel.state.gov. Please also review what the U.S. government can and cannot do to assist you in a crisis overseas.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq
+964-760-030-3000 (from outside Iraq)
0760-030-3000 (within Iraq)
- U.S. Consulate General Erbil, Iraq
+964-66-211-4000 (from outside Iraq)
066-211-4000 (within Iraq)