Location: International Zone, Baghdad, Iraq
Event: Recent demonstrations within and around the International Zone disrupted transit routes and local services. Additional large gatherings are planned for Friday, August 5. Even peaceful demonstrations can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Public consular services at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad remain suspended as a result of an attack on the Embassy compound on December 31, 2019. U.S. Consulate General Erbil remains open for routine American Citizens Services.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq
- U.S. Consulate General Erbil, Iraq
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Iraq Country Information
- Enroll in in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter