Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq (December 27, 2021)
Location: In areas near the International Zone, Baghdad, Iraq. Any locations where there is a U.S. government presence in Iraq.
Event: Increased demonstration activity related to the certification of Iraqi elections, as well as the December 31 deadline for the transition of U.S. military operations in Iraq and the January 3 anniversary of the airstrike that killed Qasem Soleimani. Increased presence of Iraqi security forces in areas of protests. Ongoing demonstrations have disrupted transit routes in and out of the International Zone. Even peaceful demonstrations can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Public consular services at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad remain suspended because of terrorist attacks on the Embassy compound on December 31, 2019. U.S. Consulate General Erbil remains open for routine American Citizens Services.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq
- U.S. Consulate General Erbil, Iraq
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Iraq Country Information
- Enroll in in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter