Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq (July 20, 2023)
Location: Baghdad, Iraq
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Baghdad is monitoring calls for demonstrations in Baghdad today (July 20, 2023), specifically in and around the International Zone. U.S. citizens should be aware of this possibility, monitor local media for updates, and avoid large gatherings.
The State Department’s Travel Advisory for Iraq remains at Level 4: Do Not Travel due to terrorism, kidnapping, armed conflict, civil unrest, and Mission Iraq’s limited capacity to provide support to U.S. citizens. For more information, please visit the Iraq Country Information page on travel.state.gov. Please also review what the U.S. government can and cannot do to assist you in a crisis overseas.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq
+964-760-030-3000 (from outside Iraq)
0760-030-3000 (within Iraq)
- U.S. Consulate General Erbil, Iraq
+964-66-211-4000 (from outside Iraq)
066-211-4000 (within Iraq)
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Iraq Country Information
- Enroll in in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter