Location: Baghdad, Iraq
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Baghdad is monitoring calls for a large demonstration with potential for anti-U.S. sentiment in Baghdad on Friday, October 13, specifically in and around Tahrir Square. U.S. citizens should be aware of this possibility, monitor local media for updates, and avoid large gatherings.
The State Department’s Travel Advisory for Iraq remains at Level 4: Do Not Travel due to terrorism, kidnapping, armed conflict, civil unrest, and Mission Iraq’s limited capacity to provide support to U.S. citizens. For more information, please visit the Iraq Country Information page on travel.state.gov. Please also review what the U.S. government can and cannot do to assist you in a crisis overseas.
Actions to Take:
– Avoid the area of the demonstrations.
– Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
– Keep a low profile
– Monitor local media for updates
– U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq
+964-760-030-3000 (from outside Iraq)
0760-030-3000 (within Iraq)
– U.S. Consulate General Erbil, Iraq
+964-66-211-4000 (from outside Iraq)
066-211-4000 (within Iraq)
– State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
– Enroll in in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.