Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq (December 20, 2021)
Location: Near entrance gates to the International Zone, Baghdad, Iraq
Event: Ongoing demonstrations have disrupted transit routes in and out of the International Zone. Even peaceful demonstrations can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Public consular services at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad remain suspended as a result of terrorist attacks on the Embassy compound on December 31, 2019. U.S. Consulate General Erbil remains open for routine American Citizens Services.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq
- U.S. Consulate General Erbil, Iraq