Location: International Zone, Baghdad, Iraq
Event: Ongoing demonstrations within and around the International Zone have disrupted transit routes and local services. Even peaceful demonstrations can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. A comprehensive curfew in Baghdad has been announced for all citizens and vehicles, starting at 15:30 today Monday, August 29.
There are also reports of protests throughout Iraq, including in Basrah, Dhi Qar, Maysan, and Muthanna provinces.
Routine public consular services at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad remain suspended as a result of an attack on the Embassy compound on December 31, 2019. U.S. Consulate General Erbil remains open for routine American Citizens Services.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq
- U.S. Consulate General Erbil, Iraq
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Iraq Country Information
- Enroll in in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter