Applications for the 2020-2021 Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program are being accepted now through June 30, 2019
The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program is a nine-month non-degree program that provides early career teachers of English an opportunity to refine their teaching skills, increase their English language proficiency, and extend their knowledge of the society and culture of the United States. All this is done while serving as teaching assistants for Arabic to U.S. students, and strengthening foreign language instruction at U.S. colleges and universities.
Fulbright FLTA participants also interact with their host communities in conversation groups, extracurricular activities, and community outreach projects. FLTA participants may assist in up to twenty hours of Arabic language classes a week and are required to enroll in at least two courses per semester at the host institution, one of which must be in U.S. Studies. Coursework is offered on either an audit or credit basis. Fulbright FLTA participants will also be expected to facilitate cultural events, language clubs, and language tables.
- Be a teacher, or be in training to become a teacher (prior teaching experience is preferred);
- Possess no more than seven years of teaching experience;
- Hold Iraqi citizenship and reside in Iraq throughout the application and selection process;
- Hold a B.A. or B.S. by June 1, 2019 in one of the following fields:
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- American Studies
- Journalism and Media
- American or English Literature
- Be fluent in English, as demonstrated by a minimum score of 550 (paper-based TOEFL – PBT); 213 (computer-based TOEFL – CBT); or 79-80 (Internet-based TOEFL – IBT) or 6.0 (overall score International English Language Testing System – IELTS); applicants who do not have a valid test score at the time of application will be required to take the test later as part of the selection process;
- Be fluent in Arabic;
- Possess maturity, dependability, integrity and professionalism.
Application and Selection
All applications must be submitted online at https://apply.iie.org/FLTA2020.
Those candidates whose applications pass the initial review will be invited for an interview at the U.S. Embassy and to take the TOEFL test. Final selection will be made by J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board in the United States.
A complete application package includes the online application, original academic transcripts, diploma (if already graduated), and three letters of reference.
Plagiarism or material misrepresentation by not properly citing sources during the application or grant period (personal statements, essays, etc.) will not be tolerated and is grounds for selection withdrawal or grant termination, as well as ineligibility for future participation. All applications will undergo a thorough plagiarism review and every year numerous candidates are disqualified due to copied text from uncited sources appearing in their applications.
For more information about FLTA program, please visit http://foreign.fulbrightonline.org/about/fulbright-flta
For questions about the program, please send an email to FulbrightIraq@state.gov or call us at 07704431572. We will receive your calls every day from Sunday to Thursday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
Application deadline is June 30, 2019