The application period for the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program is currently closed. Please check our website and Facebook page frequently for updates on this and other exchange programs.
The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program is a nine-month non-degree program that provides young teachers of English an opportunity to refine their teaching skills, increase their English language proficiency, and extend their knowledge of the cultures and customs of the United States, while teaching Arabic to U.S. students and strengthening foreign language instruction at U.S. colleges and universities. FLTA participants also interact with their host communities in conversation groups, extracurricular activities, and community outreach projects. FLTA participants may assist in up to twenty hours of Arabic language classes a week and are required to enroll in at least two courses per semester at the host institution, one of which must be in U.S. Studies. The remaining coursework should relate to their careers in English language teaching.
- Be an early-career teacher, or be in training to become a teacher;
- Hold Iraqi citizenship and reside in Iraq throughout the application and selection process;
- Hold a B.A. or B.S. at time of application in the following fields:
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- American Studies
- Journalism and Media
- American or English Literature
- Be fluent in English, as demonstrated by a minimum score of 550 (paper-based TOEFL – PBT); 213 (computer-based TOEFL – CBT); or 79-80 (Internet-based TOEFL – IBT) or 6.0 (overall score International English Language Testing System – IELTS); applicants who do not have a valid test score at the time of application will be required to take the test later as part of the selection process;
- Be fluent in Arabic;
- Possess maturity, dependability, integrity and professionalism.
How to Apply:
Instructions on how to apply for the program will be available when the next round of competition is announced in spring 2019.
Questions about the program should be sent to FulbrightIraq@state.gov.