Applications for the 2020-2021 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program are being accepted now through June 30, 2019
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program is a Fulbright program that brings accomplished young and mid-career professionals with demonstrated leadership potential to the United States for a year of non-degree graduate-level study, leadership development, and substantive professional collaboration with U.S. counterparts. By providing future leaders and policy makers with experience in U.S. society, culture, and professional fields, the program provides a basis for lasting, productive ties between Americans and their professional counterparts overseas.
Program Componentsa. Academic: the Humphrey program is classified as a non-degree program by the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Humphrey Fellows pursue tailored study programs at participating host institutions, where the freedom from the requirements of a degree program gives each Fellow the flexibility to pursue a self-directed, individualized program. There is no provision for Fellows to request placement at any particular university. Each university is chosen based on institutional resources and the level of support and guidance it offers to the participants. Each campus has a designated faculty coordinator for academic and administrative support. In addition, faculty advisors also assist Fellows in pursuing balanced academic and professional programs.
b. Professional: professional enrichment activities include professional visits, conferences, training programs, and a professional affiliation (work attachment). The professional affiliation provides firsthand exposure to an American work environment on a full-time basis for a minimum period of six weeks. Early in the academic year, each Fellow develops, with assistance from the local campus coordinator and faculty advisors, a detailed plan of practical professional activities geared to the Fellow’s Humphrey program objectives.
- Be in possession of an undergraduate degree;
- Have at least five years of full-time substantial professional experience (prior to August 2020) in the relevant field after completing a university degree;
- Demonstrate leadership qualities and commitment to public service;
- Have limited or no prior experience in the U.S.;
- Have a desire to focus on public policy rather than research or technical fields;
- Have proficiency in both written and spoken English (TOEFL scores are not required at the time of application, but successful candidates will be required to take the TOEFL exam); and
- Be Iraqi citizens resident in Iraq throughout the application and selection process (Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status are ineligible).
Those Ineligible for Consideration Include:
- recent university graduates (even if they hold significant positions)
- university teachers with no management or policy responsibilities, except for teachers of English as a Foreign Language and specialists in drug abuse prevention and treatment
- individuals who have attended a graduate school in the U.S. for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to the date of application
- individuals with recent U.S. educational or work experience (more than six months during the five years prior to the date of application)
Eligible Fields of study: Click here to view the eligible Fields of Study.
Application and Selection
All applications must be submitted at https://apply.iie.org/huberthhumphrey. Candidates whose applications pass the initial review are invited for an interview at the U.S. Embassy and to take the TOEFL test. Final selection will be made by J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board in the United States.
For general information about the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program, please visit http://www.humphreyfellowship.org.
Click here to view the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on this program.
Humphrey Program Facebook and YouTube pages
For questions about the program in Iraq, please send an email to FulbrightIraq@state.gov or call us at 07704431572. We will receive your calls every day from Sunday to Thursday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
Application deadline is June 30, 2019.