Public Diplomacy Grants Program
The Public Diplomacy Grants Program supports initiatives that promote educational and cultural engagement and foster mutual understanding between the United States and Iraq. Grants are awarded for projects designed to further the development of Iraq’s future leaders, build the capacity of Iraqi institutions, and promote awareness and understanding of shared U.S. and Iraqi values.
Proposals are accepted at any time; applicants may be individuals or representatives of civil society and non-governmental organizations, cultural organizations, or research and academic institutions. Priority will be given to Iraqi applicants, although the program is open to U.S.-based not-for-profit organizations and institutions of higher education. Grant awards are subject to the availability of funds and generally will not exceed $100,000; most will be smaller. Requests for support for individual or group research projects or to help defray the costs of study abroad will not be considered.
- Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Empowering Women and Youth
- Encouraging Environmental Awareness
- Promoting Civic Engagement and Strengthening Civil Society
- Fostering Cultural Ties
- Enhancing Professionalism in the Media
Applications will be evaluated based on the proposed topic, clearly formulated goals, the target group, and the capacity of the individual or organization to carry out the proposed activity. Cost-sharing and the inclusion of alumni of U.S. Department of State exchange programs in developing and implementing grant activity are encouraged. Applications should explain clearly any other likely sources of funding for the project.
Examples of program activity include, but are not limited to:
- Public outreach campaigns
- Training programs
- Seminars, workshops, or roundtable discussions
- Cultural activities related to film, music, or literature.
Proposals that support social welfare projects, partisan or political party activity, religious activity, or trade or other commercial activity will not be considered.
All federal award recipients must maintain current registrations in the SAM database. Recipients must maintain accurate and up-to-date information in www.SAM.gov until all program and financial activity and reporting have been completed. Recipients must review and update the information at least annually after the initial registration and more frequently if required information changes or another award is granted. Failure to register in SAM will render applicants ineligible to receive funding.
All applicants except individuals must complete the following registrations:
- Register for a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number at http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform.
- Obtain necessary codes: for non-U.S. organizations, an NCAGE code at https://eportal.nspa.nato.int/AC135Public/scage/CageList.aspx.
For information and questions about this announcement, please send all email inquiries to the U.S. Embassy Baghdad at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be submitted in English to Baghdadpdgrants@state.gov. All correspondence regarding this announcement should reference the title ‘Public Diplomacy Grants Program” located at the top of this announcement when making your request.
Successful applicants will be required to sign a grant agreement with the U.S. Embassy and to submit program and financial reports as specified in the agreement.
The U.S. Embassy in Baghdad invites eligible organizations to submit proposals to implement projects. In detail description of the project and requirements on how to apply can be found in the Notice Of Funding Opportunities (NOFOs) below. You can also find information on where to find the application form within the NOFO.
- Renovation of Synagogue of Ezekiel in Shush – Deadline for Applications: 09/21/2020 (PDF 251 KB)
- English Language Investment and Training for Economic Success – Deadline for Applications: 09/21/2020 (PDF 269 KB)
- English for Mission Contacts Program – Erbil (PDF 257 KB)
- English for Mission Contacts Program – Baghdad (PDF 256 KB)