COVID 19 Information – Specific to the Iraqi Kurdistan Region (IKR):
- Click here for the latest COVID-19 information: https://iq.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information
- Entry to the Kurdistan Region from other parts of Iraq is prohibited.
- Flights at the Erbil International Airport and the Sulaimaniya International Airport are suspended until May 22, 2020.
- Authorities extended a curfew across the IKR until May 10, 2020. Violators are subject to fines and penalties.
- From midnight to 7:00 p.m., pedestrian movements are allowed to obtain essential items. Shops, markets, bakeries, and pharmacies remain open, as per procedures announced by local officials.
- All vehicle movements are banned from midnight until 6:00 a.m. except for security officials, ambulances, and other permitted vehicles.
- All movements in the Kurdistan Region are banned between the hours of 7:00 p.m. and midnight.
- Kurdistan Regional Government offices will remain closed until May 10, 2020.
- Movements between cities/governorates within the Kurdistan Region are banned, except for the transport of essential products, in emergency situations or with the prior permission of Kurdish authorities.
- As the situation is changing rapidly, all travelers entering the Kurdistan region, regardless of previous travel, should be aware they could be subject to screening and restrictions upon arrival at the direction of the regional health department, including being quarantined at a facility mandated by the regional health department.
Consulate General Erbil serves the four provinces of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq: Erbil, Sulaimaniya, Duhok and Halabja. The Consulate General consists of an executive office headed by the Consul General and sections covering political affairs, economic affairs, public diplomacy, rule of law, management, and security. Co-located with the U.S. Consulate General is the USAID office serving the Iraqi Kurdistan Region.
Consulate General Erbil is located in the Ankawa suburb of Erbil, on the Erbil Road next to the Police Station and opposite the Chaldean Cultural Center.
Consulate General hours are Sunday through Thursday from 8:00 to 17:00. The Consulate General is closed on all American and most Iraqi holidays. Visitors to the Consulate General are admitted by appointment.