The Iraqi Ministry of Health has confirmed cases of COVID-19 within Iraq.
The Embassy is working to identify possible flight options that would depart Iraq within the next two weeks. We have already emailed those who registered their interest to depart Iraq on the next available flight.
If you did not receive this information and you wish to depart Iraq on the next available flight, please email ErbilACS@state.gov if you are in the Iraqi Kurdistan Region or BaghdadACS@state.gov if you are elsewhere in Iraq.
Information on Flights:
- You must email us directly to receive flight information.
- Flights are not be free. You will be responsible for booking and paying for all tickets. Commercial estimates for U.S. destinations are in excess of $3,000 per ticket.
- If you are a U.S. citizen and cannot afford this cost, you may request a loan. Loans must be repaid in the United States. Unless you are the immediate family member of a U.S. citizen, Legal Permanent Residents are not eligible for a loan.
- Flight destinations are very limited. Upon arrival to the United States, passengers will be responsible for their own onward arrangements.
- The Embassy has no control over airline baggage or pet policies.
- The current suspension on all flights to and from Iraq is in effect until May 22, but please note this could be extended. If you choose not to depart when flights are made available, please be prepared to shelter in place until commercial flights resume.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 at https://iq.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions within Iraq, as local government restrictions can change quickly.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- American Citizen Services Unit, U.S. Embassy Baghdad (public access suspended) or U.S. Consulate Erbil – 413 Ishtar, Ankawa, Erbil, Iraq
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Iraq Country Information
- Iraq Travel Advisory
- Enroll in the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter