The Iraqi Ministry of Health has confirmed cases of COVID-19 within Iraq.
The U.S. Embassy in Baghdad and the U.S. Consulate General in Erbil are working to identify flight options. Flights may be available this week – please monitor your email closely for flight information. If you have not already done so, please fill out the form in the link below if you are a U.S. citizen wishing to depart on the next available commercial flight:
Please do not fill this form out if you have already sent an email to ErbilACS@state.gov or BaghdadACS@state.gov and have received a confirmation email. Fill out the form only once. Please do not contact the Consulate by phone to confirm your form has been received; we will reply when we have your information.
If commercial flights do become available, please note:
- Flights will not be free. You will be responsible for booking and paying for all tickets. Commercial estimates for U.S. destinations are likely to be in excess of $2,500 per ticket. If you cannot afford this cost and need a loan, contact us via e-mail. Loans must be repaid in the United States.
- Flight destinations will be limited. Upon arrival to the United States, passengers will be responsible for their own onward arrangements.
- The Embassy has no control over airline baggage or pet policies.
- The current suspension on all flights to and from Iraq is in effect until April 11, but please note this could be extended. If you choose not to depart when flights are made available, please be prepared to shelter in place until commercial flights resume.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 at https://iq.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions within Iraq, as local government restrictions can change quickly.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- American Citizen Services Unit, U.S. Embassy Baghdad (public access suspended) or U.S. Consulate Erbil – 413 Ishtar, Ankawa, Erbil, Iraq
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Iraq Country Information
- Iraq Travel Advisory
- Enroll in the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter