April 12, 2020
The Iraqi Ministry of Health has confirmed cases of COVID-19 within Iraq.
The Government of Iraq extended its suspension on all flights to and from Iraq until 8:00 p.m. on April 18. Multiple special commercial flights organized by the U.S. Embassy have already departed Erbil and Baghdad. There are no additional special flights expected at this time. U.S. citizens still located in Iraq should be prepared to shelter in place until commercial flights resume. The Embassy will continue to update its website with the latest information on Iraqi restrictions related to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 at https://iq.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions within Iraq, as local government restrictions can change quickly.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- American Citizen Services Unit, U.S. Embassy Baghdad (public access suspended) or U.S. Consulate Erbil – 413 Ishtar, Ankawa, Erbil, Iraq
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Iraq Country Information
- Iraq Travel Advisory
- Enroll in the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter