Travel Advisory: U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq – Iraq Travel Advisory (January 4, 2023)
Event: The U.S. Department of State has reissued the Travel Advisory for Iraq on January 3, 2023 after periodic review with updates to security information.
The Travel Advisory for Iraq remains at Level 4: Do Not Travel due to terrorism, kidnapping, armed conflict, civil unrest, and the U.S. government’s limited capacity to provide support to U.S. citizens in Iraq. For more information, please visit the Iraq Country Information page on travel.state.gov. Please also review what the U.S. government can and cannot do to assist you in a crisis overseas.
If you choose to disregard the Travel Advisory and travel to Iraq, you should consider taking the following steps:
- Visit the Embassy’s webpage for security alerts and updates.
- Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
- Draft a will and designate appropriate insurance beneficiaries and/or power of attorney.
- Discuss a plan with loved ones regarding care/custody of children, pets, property, belongings, non-liquid assets (collections, artwork, etc.), funeral wishes, etc.
- Share important documents, login information, and points of contact with loves ones so they can manage your affairs if you are unable to return as planned to the United States.
- Establish your own personal security plan in coordination with your employer or host organization or consider traveling with a professional security organization.
- Avoid areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large protests or gatherings.
- Always carry proper identification, such as your passport, with you.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Iraq.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq
+964-760-030-3000 (from outside Iraq)
0760-030-3000 (within Iraq)
U.S. Consulate General Erbil, Iraq
+964-66-211-4000 (from outside Iraq)
066-211-4000 (within Iraq)
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Iraq Country Information
- Enroll in in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter