Message to U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq – Renew Your Passport Now (September 09, 2022)
Location: Iraq (countrywide)
Are you a U.S. citizen in Iraq who needs to renew your passport? Do you need to travel soon? Routine public consular services at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad remain suspended as a result of an attack on the Embassy compound in 2019. However, emergency services for U.S. citizens are available at the Embassy using the contact information below. The U.S. Consulate General in Erbil remains open to American citizens for routine and emergency services.
If your passport has expired or will expire in the next six months, please make an appointment to renew your passport as soon as possible. To request an emergency appointment at the Embassy, please send an email to BaghdadACS@state.gov. For routine passport renewals, please visit Consulate General Erbil’s website for instructions on how to schedule an appointment.
The State Department’s Travel Advisory for Iraq remains at Level 4: Do Not Travel due to terrorism, kidnapping, armed conflict, civil unrest, and Mission Iraq’s limited capacity to provide support to U.S. citizens. For more information, please visit the Iraq Country Information page on travel.state.gov. Please also review what the U.S. government can and cannot do to assist you in a crisis overseas.
Actions to Take:
- Check the validity of your passport.
- Renew your passport now if you have less than 6 months validity.
- Always carry proper identification.
- Have a contingency plan that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq
- +964-760-030-3000 (from outside Iraq)
- 0760-030-3000 (within Iraq)
- S. Consulate General Erbil, Iraq
- +964-66-211-4000 (from outside Iraq)
- 066-211-4000 (within Iraq)
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Iraq Country Information
- Enroll in in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter