An official website of the United States government

Passports for Children (Under Age 16)

PLEASE NOTE***First-time passport applicants under age 18 and born outside of the United States must first apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad by clicking here.  If you wish to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for your child, you must contact BAGHDADCRBA@state.gov or ErbilACS@State.gov. Do not make an appointment for a passport or you will be turned away.

All minor applicants must be present with both parents when the passport application is submitted.

If one parent cannot be present, the applying parent must present an original, notarized Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) (PDF 28 KB) from the absent parent.  *Please note that the DS-3053 presented must have been notarized within the last three month by a Notary Public in the U.S. or at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Alternatively, the applying parent may present a death certificate or a court decree giving the parent sole, legal and physical custody over the minor.

All minor passport applications must include:

  • The minor’s most recent U.S. Passport; and
  • A U.S. birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificate, or Citizenship Certificate; and
  • One valid form of photo identification (e.g. foreign passport, driver’s license, military ID, etc.) from each parent; and
  • One passport photograph; and
  • A completed Form DS-11 ; and
  • Fee according to Fee Schedule, payable in U.S. Dollars, or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express, Diners Club, or Discover).