Security Alert: Iraq – U.S. Embassy Baghdad (March 5, 2021)
Location: Throughout Iraq
Event: We advise that U.S. citizens in Iraq are at a high risk for violence and kidnapping. Threats may increase over the coming days accompanying the visit of Pope Francis to Iraq, including in northern Iraq and the Erbil area. We urge U.S. citizens to avoid large crowds, churches, and other gatherings that may be targeted by terrorist groups, including ISIS, violent criminals, or other militant groups now operating in Iraq.
Please review the full Travel Advisory for Iraq.
Actions to Take:
- If you hear a loud explosion or if sirens are activated, immediately seek cover.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- American Citizens Services Unit, U.S. Embassy Baghdad (public access suspended) or U.S.Consulate Erbil – 413 Ishtar, Ankawa, Erbil, Iraq
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Iraq Country Information
- Iraq Travel Advisory
- Enroll in the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter