Location: Throughout Iraq
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Baghdad reminds U.S. citizens extremist groups and regional actors have conducted destructive and sometimes lethal attacks against a variety of targets. Attacks may occur with little or no warning, impacting airports, tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, and local government facilities. Iraqi and Western facilities and places frequented by U.S. citizens and other Westerners may also be targeted.
There is a threat of drone and missile attacks impacting on civilian and other targets in Iraq. Violence associated with Iran-supported groups represents a significant threat. U.S. citizens living and working near military bases and critical civilian infrastructure are at heightened risk of impacts from missile and drone attacks. U.S. citizens should remain alert in case of additional attacks.
Iraqi militants have also launched a series of attacks at air bases in Iraq, including in close proximity to commercial airports and civil aviation.
Due to risks to civil aviation operating within or in the vicinity of Iraq, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) and/or a Special Federal Aviation Regulation (SFAR). For more information, U.S. citizens should consult the Federal Aviation Administration’s Prohibitions, Restrictions and Notices.
Please review the full Travel Advisory for Iraq.
Actions to Take:
- If you hear a loud explosion or if sirens are activated, immediately seek cover.
- If in a home or a building, go to the lowest level of the structure with the fewest exterior walls, windows, and openings; close any doors and sit near an interior wall, away from any windows or openings.
- If you are outdoors, immediately seek cover in a hardened structure; if that is not possible, lie down and cover your head with your hands.
- Be aware that even if the incoming missile or drone is intercepted, falling debris represents a significant risk.
- After the attack, stay away from any debris, and monitor major news outlets for official guidance.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- American Citizen Services Unit, U.S. Embassy Baghdad (public access suspended) or U.S.
Consulate Erbil – 413 Ishtar, Ankawa, Erbil, Iraq