Location: Erbil, Iraq
Event: U.S. Consulate General Erbil is monitoring credible open-source reports of potential Turkish military action in northern Syria and northern Iraq in the coming days. The U.S. government continues to strongly advise U.S. citizens to avoid these areas.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid border areas.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media for updates.
The State Department’s Travel Advisory for Iraq remains at Level 4: Do Not Travel due to terrorism, kidnapping, armed conflict, civil unrest, and Mission Iraq’s limited capacity to provide support to U.S. citizens. For more information, please visit the Iraq Country Information page on travel.state.gov. Please also review what the U.S. government can and cannot do to assist you in a crisis overseas.
- U.S. Embassy Baghdad, Iraq
+964-760-030-3000 (from outside Iraq)
0760-030-3000 (within Iraq)
- U.S. Consulate General Erbil, Iraq
+964-66-211-4000 (from outside Iraq)
066-211-4000 (within Iraq)
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Iraq Country Information
- Enroll in in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter