Children born abroad whose parents, either one or both, are U.S. citizens may have a claim to U.S. citizenship.  If the parents meet the legal requirements to transmit citizenship to their child, the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit will issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).  The parents may also obtain a U.S. passport and social security number for the child.  For details on the requirements for transmitting citizenship, please click here.   At least one parent must have been a U.S. citizen at the time of your child’s birth in order to pass citizenship to your child.

We recommend that you report the birth of your child as soon as possible after birth.  It is not normally possible to issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad for a child who is over the age of 18, but the child may still be documented as a U.S. citizen and issued a passport.

Steps to Apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad at the Embassy in Baghdad involves these steps:

Gather Documents: You will need the Application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad DS-2029, (PDF 64 KB) as well as the following:

  1. The child’s original, certified birth certificate showing both parents’ names. This certificate must be issued by a governmental issuing authority; a hospital birth record is not acceptable.
  2. Photo IDs for both parents. This may be a passport, driver’s license, or government-issued ID. IDs for both parents are required even if one parent is not attending the appointment.
  3. Proof of the parent(s)’ U.S. citizenship. This may consist of a U.S. passport, a certificate of naturalization, a certificate of citizenship, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a U.S. birth certificate accompanied by a valid photo ID.
  4. The original, or a certified copy, of the parents’ marriage certificate, if applicable.

Send Us Your Documents: Email your completed application and a scan of the documents to the American Citizen Services Unit at or

Review: Once we have reviewed your application and it is complete, we will email you your appointment. If your application is missing any information, we will let you know.

Appointment: Come to the Embassy for your appointment with your application forms, required original documents, photocopies of original documents, as well as any additional documents requested by consular staff.  You must pay a non-refundable application fee of $100 for the Report of Birth Abroad. This fee will not be refunded even if the Consular Officer determines that your child is not eligible for citizenship. Applicants must also provide photocopies of all the required documents.  If you do not bring the required photocopies, the ACS Unit will make copies for you at a fee of $1 per page.  Please also read our security requirements closely.