Anyone going to the United States on official business for a government or designated international organization must obtain an A or G visa. A visas are required for anyone assigned to a foreign embassy or consulate in the U.S., as well as government officials on a temporary mission to the United States. G visas are required for individuals representing their government at or hired to work directly for certain international organizations located in the U.S. G visas are also required for employees of such organizations stationed abroad who are required to travel to the U.S. temporarily for their work.
Personal Appearance Normally Not Required: Official government and international organization travelers normally do not require a personal interview. Instead, official travelers, or their representatives, may submit visa application packages at the U.S. Embassy between 2:00 – 4:00 P.M., Sundaythrough Thursday (except Wednesdays) at the Consular Gate on Al Kindi Street.
Required Items for Official Visa Submission Package: In order to prevent processing delays and complications with official visa submission, please include the following items in official visa submission packages:
- A copy of the Application Confirmation Page. This confirmation can be printed after submitting a Nonimmigrant Visa application at: https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
Please note, every applicant must answer EVERY question on the application form. If the answer to a question is “none,” please write “none” (Do not leave it blank). Incomplete or incorrect forms will delay your visa processing and will have to be resubmitted.
- Diplomatic Note. This note should be from the Iraqi MFA, your Embassy in Iraq, or the international organization sponsoring you. Diplomatic Notes requesting official travel to the U.S. should include:
- Name and date of birth of each applicant
- Position and title
- Place of assignment or visit
- Purpose of travel
- Brief description of duties
- Travel date
- Anticipated length of stay or tour of duty in the U.S.
- Names, relationships, and dates of birth of any dependents and other members of household who will be accompanying or joining the principal.
- A passport valid for at least six (6) months after your intended date of entry into the United States.
- A 5 cm x 5 cm front-facing passport photo – with no eyeglasses – taken within the past six months.
Questions or Problems Submitting Your Visa Application? Please send an email to BaghdadAandGVisas@state.gov for any questions or problems submitting your official visa application package. Telephone inquiries related to official visas only are answered 8:00 – 17:00 Sunday to Thursday at 07704433032.
Passport and Visa Return: When your visa is approved, the Consular Section will contact you or your representative based on the contact information submitted in your visa application. Completed visas and passports may be picked up at the U.S. Embassy between 2:00 – 4:00 P.M., Sunday throughThursday (except Wednesdays) at the Consular Gate on Al Kindi Street.