Anyone going to the United States on official business for a government or designated international organization must obtain an A or G visa. A visas are required for anyone assigned to a foreign embassy or consulate in the U.S., as well as government officials on a temporary mission to the United States. G visas are required for individuals representing their government at or hired to work directly for certain international organizations located in the U.S. G visas are also required for employees of such organizations stationed abroad who are required to travel to the U.S. temporarily for their work.
Personal Appearance Normally Not Required: Official government and international organization travelers normally do not require a personal interview. Instead, official travelers, or their representatives, may submit visa application packages at the U.S. Embassy between 2:00 – 4:00 P.M., Sundaythrough Thursday (except Wednesdays) at the Consular Gate on Al Kindi Street.
Required Items for Official Visa Submission Package: In order to prevent processing delays and complications with official visa submission, please include the following items in official visa submission packages:
- A copy of the Application Confirmation Page. This confirmation can be printed after submitting a Nonimmigrant Visa application at: https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
Please note, every applicant must answer EVERY question on the application form. If the answer to a question is “none,” please write “none” (Do not leave it blank). Incomplete or incorrect forms will delay your visa processing and will have to be resubmitted.
- Diplomatic Note. This note should be from the Iraqi MFA, your Embassy in Iraq, or the international organization sponsoring you. Diplomatic Notes requesting official travel to the U.S. should include:
- Name and date of birth of each applicant
- Position and title
- Place of assignment or visit
- Purpose of travel
- Brief description of duties
- Travel date
- Anticipated length of stay or tour of duty in the U.S.
- Names, relationships, and dates of birth of any dependents and other members of household who will be accompanying or joining the principal.
- A passport valid for at least six (6) months after your intended date of entry into the United States.
- A 5 cm x 5 cm front-facing passport photo – with no eyeglasses – taken within the past six months.
Questions or Problems Submitting Your Visa Application? Please send an email to BaghdadNIV@state.gov for any questions or problems submitting your official visa application package. Telephone inquiries related to official visas only are answered 8:00 – 17:00 Sunday to Thursday at 07704433032.
Passport and Visa Return: When your visa is approved, the Consular Section will contact you or your representative based on the contact information submitted in your visa application.